Matt 4:1-11 Jesus tempted in the Desert.
We all have read this portion of the text before, but I never really thought about the perspective of Jesus fasting and praying before being tempted. I've always thought this was a prelude for Him being hungry before the temptations came. If indeed God is all knowing then Jesus would also have known that He would be tested. Therefore, it could be that the praying and fasting was to prepare Himself for the temptation. It amazes me to see the story in this light. If indeed Jesus knew and prepared Himself for temptations we should also do the same. Maybe not fasting for 40 days, but how about reading and remembering more scripture. The devotional book I am using has a quote that I really like and I'll end with it.
"When temptation squeezes, scripture should spill out."
-wk
No comments:
Post a Comment