Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Amazing Journey

Time flies. I've become a mom for more than 2 months. Never imagine we can manage to take care of an ever-crying baby, but by God's grace, we take it one day at a time. Ethan is a very demanding baby. Medically speaking, he's one of the 20% 'colicky' babies who cry uncontrollably at night without a found reason (typically peaks at 2nd month and subsides around 3rd month). Babies' cry can drive people crazy easily, especially when you spend hours hearing it. I still remember many sleepless nights, spending 3-5 hours just to put him to sleep. During that few wks, we battled with this little boy every night. 10pm was the beginning of the battle and it may or may not end at all. The sleep deprivation and pressure totally worn us out. Trust me, continuous babies' cry can truly drive one out of mind. I almost forgot what is day, what is night, who am i, and who is God. One night during the 3rd hour of attempt to rock him to sleep, I suddenly remembered God was the only help. I started to pray while I 'walked & rocked' him. I asked God to either give him some God-made sleep pill or beat him up so he could sleep. I really asked so and God listened to my prayer. He fell asleep finally. After that, I learned to pray for the baby every night, and he slept before 3am, then 2am, then 1am... There were even some thankful nights that he slept before 11pm. Before having a baby, I never realize having a few hrs of personal time was so precious and thankful.

I also realize how much difference prayers can make. Before Ethan was born, my mind was full of all sorts of scary thoughts that may happen during the delivery process. I prayed days and nights specifically to ask for a smooth, quick, and painless delivery. God listened to my prayers and gave me a super easy labor... But who knows, bringing up a babe is more painful than giving birth. So stupid not to pray for an easy-going baby. I guess it's not too late to ask so. :p

After 2 months, I'm still amazed by this little creature who got nurtured in my womb and came out from my body. The concept of God being a creator was just a head knowledge before, but now, I truely can't deny him being a creator of all human beings. Witnessing the growing of my tummy, the movement of the fetus, the complicated design of delivery and healing process of my body, the introduction of the baby who resembles the parents in every way, and the change of my body to continue to nurture this little life...all I can say is to praise God for being our creator and a flawless designer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hum, I can tell that your prayers were answered, since you can write so much. ;)

Thanks for your sharing. I think it really helps prepare the new moms and dads, or moms and dads to become.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your sharing, I can image how you struggle with sleepless Ethan . But I saw him always has a sweet sleep in the worship time, may be the environment of Sanctuary makes him sleep easily, you can think about it...